Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Disney Update

Well, I have no idea where to start with all this. My last post was about when I was able to finally complete and submit my application to Disneyland and the result from my web based interview. Well here is a brief overview of what has happened. I lie... It wont be brief. I will just break it up into several different posts.

I am going to start with my interview that I had for Disneyland. The interview was scheduled for Tuesday March 29th at 12:30. I had my creative dramatics class that morning at 10:50 and we usually got out by 11:30, sometimes earlier, but it all depended on what we did that day. Creative dramatics is Garrett, which was a perfect place to go to have my phone interview. So after class that morning I went down to the dressing rooms and planted myself in there and prepared for my interview. I sat in front of the mirror and did my vocal warm ups that we would have to do for shows, to make sure that I spoke clearly and distinctly on the phone. I sat down there and stared at my phone, anxiously awaiting for 12:30 to arrive and for my phone to ring. Twelve thirty came... no phone call yet. Twelve thirty-one, nothing. It was like that until they finally called at 12:45. When she called it was a short 20 minute interview... we talked about my application, the roles that I had marked interest in and then talked about my work as an RA in the dorm. The interview ended and I felt pretty okay about it, and she told me that I would hear back from them in about 3 to 4 weeks. I am currently on week 4 and have not heard anything.

Fast forward about a week or two. (During that time I finally caved in and filled out my application for Disney World and submitted it). Now we are to Thursday or Friday April 7th or 8th, I forget which one. Either way, that afternoon I was sitting in Jojo's room on her bed and she and I were searching the internet looking for jobs after graduation. She talked me into calling Disney World to set up my phone interview. I finally called them after a little coaxing and set up my interview, it was set for Sunday night at 8pm.

Sunday finally got here and Audrey and I were going to be sleeping at the apartment that night because the air was out due to the fire alarm being reset. We got to the apartment at about 7:45 and I ran upstairs to "my" room and pulled all of my stuff out and started preparing for my interview. I had all of my Disney information in front of me, rehearsed for my interview and had been well versed in all the roles I applied for and had them narrowed down to top 5 favorite positions. I also had my verses written on the bottom of my feet and had prayed with my mom over the phone, and had prayed with Audrey.

The time for my interview finally rolled around. I was interviewed by the very delightful and highly energetic Brandon. I had a good old time talking to him during my interview. He, unlike my interviewer for Disneyland,  asked more about my work in theater and being a camp counselor instead of my work as an RA. I felt real confident during my interview, even smiled and laughed during my interview, which is something they look for during interviews. When my interview was over 20 minutes later, he told me that I would hear back from them in 3-4 weeks. When I got off the phone, I pulled out my calendar and estimated the time as to when I should be hearing back from them... which would have been the week of graduation, or the week after.

Fast forward to Wednesday, April 13th. That day I finished class at around lunch, and finally laid down to take a nap with the intent of getting up with enough time to make it to dinner. I did what I did every time after I take a nap... I went to go check my email. I went to the computer lab to check it not expecting anything to be there... but lo and behold things were not that way. I opened up my hotmail email and there it was... an email from Disney College Recruiting. I opened it and there it was... CONGRATULATIONS!!! It was my acceptance email saying that I had been accepted into the program. After several minutes of letting it soak in, I finally scrolled down to see what position I had been offered. I scrolled down to find that I had been hired for the exact position I had wanted... costuming. And the funny thing is, before I had opened my email, I had just posted a status on facebook saying something about bye-bye Mississippi, hello (insert state name here).

After reading over the email several times and calling all my family members, I found out that upon my acceptance into the program, I had to pay $300 dollars. This was a concern for me because I sure as heck didn't have that much money right on hand, and neither did my parents. Thankfully the Friday before I had received a refund check that would easily cover my program fees if I was accepted to Disneyland ($850... they asked for 1st month's rent up front) or Disney World (just $300). I wasnt able to log in and accept my position until that weekend. It was then that I had to pick my arrival date.

When I first applied, my goal was to get hired for the fall program that started in August and would have given me three months at home with my family to work and to save up for when it came time to finally leave. Apparently, that was not the plan for me. I was hired for Fall Advantage which started in May/June... which means I would only have a month, give or take at home with family before I had to leave for Orlando for 8 months. I logged in and accepted my position and my arrival date. The latest that I could choose from was June 6th, and thats the one I chose. And this my friends... leads into my Disney adventure and into several more posts. Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment